Merge Labs Inc.‘s Cube is a revolutionary way to get immersed in the AR/VR world. The Cube is an easy way to begin your journey into what has become America’s innovative technology. A great way for kids to interact with games and education, the Merge Cube, is a small revolution in the VR/AR space. The Cube creates a portable holographic world the user manipulates without the need for a lot of technical and often pricey equipment.
I spent most of my time with the Merge Cube as a stand-alone AR/VR portal for my journey into Merge’s holographic world. The cube itself was soft to the touch, and a bit plushie like a small teddy bear. I could squeeze it and was insured that the device can’t be broken by little or strong hands. Its outside has a cool ridge design that made it comfortable to hold, while being maneuvered around in my hand.
Apps downloaded from a user’s respective smartphone marketplace are fun to play. Though I often moved the cube off-screen in wild swinging attempts to grab or touch something further off screen. The games are imaginative - with some that were reminiscent of classical games like PAC-MAN, Dig Dug and others.The software available for the device currently is a little limited but I’m sure the list will grow with interest.
“Augment your reality with the Merge Cube,” - Washington Thompson, YBLTV Writer / Reviewer @washthompson3
Merge Cube Product Features
- People interact with a Cube in different and elaborate ways using their phone
- The user manipulates holographic objects in their hand
iOS and Android:
- Downloading apps through iOS and Android marketplaces
- Limited amount of apps (only about 11 in the iOS AppStore) but I’m confident there will be more
- Mergers can use Merge Goggles (sold separately) to get more immersion with the Merge Cube
- Fits almost all phones in the current market
- Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H) 2.83 x 2.83 x 2.83
- Immersive device for interacting with holographic images for gameplay or education
- Resilient Cube for younger players and the clumsy
- Compatible with AR/VR Goggles
- Apps available through iOS and Google
- The Merge Cube is sometimes moved off screen, needing a re-sync before returning to gameplay
- Limited amount of apps which makes its replay value difficult to gauge in today’s short attention span age
Though the software available is sparse, I believe that Merge Labs is on to something with the Merge Cube and its other products. The device itself was enjoyable to play with and watching my daughter interact with the games she found for her phone, just spoke of the Cube’s potential. The Merge’s Cube is a great way to introduce your family to the world of AR/VR for as long as it can keep their attention.
Disclosure of Material Connection: YBLTV Writer / Reviewer, Washington Thompson received The Merge Cube for free from Merge Labs, Inc. in consideration for a Product Review.