For the price, Wearsafe tags are not just for adults, they are a smart choice for kids when parents aren't with them.
- First, the cost. Really minimal for all the features it offers-- starting at $5.00 monthly! And no product charge-- if you already have a subscription, it's just $30 each additional tag. I don't know about you but I hate getting locked into a monthly fee that ends up costing several hundred dollars a year. The range is great - you can still send an alert from up to 200 feet away from your paired smartphone.
- The lavalier link and the clip-on holder were difficult to insert -- I broke a nail. Took many insertions and removals to get them sliding easier. Also, the "screwdriver" effect of the clip-on holder was difficult to work-- again, practice makes perfect, etc. Or maybe just putting them under warm running water will do the trick.
YBLTV Review: Wearsafe Tag
Medical alerts come in all sizes and functionalities. Some alerts include operators who phone friends or relatives with the press of a button. Other models, call 911. Some include GPS locators, and even motion sensors: Some allow 2-way conversations. Some charge monthly fees plus a unit charge. They are waterproof and can be worn around the neck or on a wrist. The monthly costs vary as much as the units’ abilities, anywhere from $29.95 to $59.95 per month, and more.
Personal Panic Alarms. They alert anyone nearby to an existing emergency situation with alarms from 90dB-120dB and more. They usually come in a keychain style, some with flashlights and all with batteries required. Some are designed to be clicked, while others are squeezed. Unit costs: around $10.00. No monthly fee. Great in an urban setting. But, if no one is around to hear the loud siren, you are out of luck.
Personal emergency response units. Some of these units offer more features than others. Some have unit charges and no monthly fee, but they all depend on your smartphone and an app. Great for seniors, keeping track of kids, accidents, etc.
I recently tested one brand from Wearsafe Labs— the Wearsafe Tag and its app.
Here’s how it works: First, open the back of the tag using the bottom of the clip-on holder. Inside is the battery and a 4-digit code which you will need to register and sync with the Wearsafe app. Next, install the app (iTunes or Google Play) and activate it. Invite at least 6 people to join your network—they are your support team when you need help. Lastly, slip on the holder to wear the tag on your pocket or bag. Or slip on the lavalier link to wear the tag around your neck.
When you are in trouble: 1. Press the button on the top of the tag, 2. Say what’s wrong. Then WearSafe goes to work; they text and call your network. If all of them respond, WearSafe has a chat feature that lets them decide who can help the quickest. There’s even a real-time Google map with your location. And your recorded voice lets your network know the issue. What’s more, you know that help is coming when your tag vibrates.
Unit size and flexibility: About 1 1/2 inches high, 1 inch wide and extremely lightweight. Comes with 2 connectors– a keyring or lavalier link, plus a clip-on holder. Both slide into the top of the Wearsafe tag.
- iOS 7.1 and above / iPhone 4S and above
- Android 4.4 BLE and above
- Full device list, visit wearsafe.com/devices
Check out Wearsafe for a 30-day FREE TRIAL.
Disclosure of Material Connection: YBLTV Writer / Reviewer, DIY Pipeline received a Wearsafe Tag for free from Wearsafe Labs in consideration for a Product Review.